Monday, October 4, 2010



A Little of This & a Little of That

Have you ever had someone go to a store with you and offered to buy them something? On occasion I have done that, mostly with grandchildren.

First of all, I have to explain that I have two maids now; one works one day a week cooking for me and one works two half days cleaning for me. Since we live in a small apartment now it doesn't take as much time for someone to clean.

Several weeks ago I took my cooking maid with me to the grocery store to pick up some things for that day's cooking. When we went in, I offered to buy her anything she wanted and just told her to let me know what she wanted. What do you think she wanted? Cookies, candy, etc.?? No, what she wanted was a bottle of bleach. Can you imagine being happy with a bottle of bleach? Well, she was very happy to get it because she needed it!

For the last couple of weeks we have been using a missionary collegues' car while she was on vacation in Europe. Tonight she is coming back so I wanted our guard to wash the car for her. When I asked how much he wanted to wash the car, he said that whatever I gave him would be fine with him. He worked really, really hard and cleaned both the inside and outside of the car. When he was done I gave him the equivilent of about $4.00 and he was thrilled with that.

On a completely different note, Friday my cleaning maid and I went downtown to look for a sewing machine for the talibe center. The plan is that I will teach a couple of the older boys how to sew so that they can make some things that people will buy from them so they won't have to beg for a living. We bought a brand new Singer treadle sewing machine (in other words, non-electric) like my grandma used to use to sew on. Does this take you back a little??!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you here again. Wowo - a new sewing machine that looks old :) That should be so good for some of the boys to learn a skill they can use to hopefully earn $ in the future. That's sweet - about your maid & your guard. Matt should be here in just a bit to join us for dinner.

    ReplyDelete